Saturday, December 02, 2006

Gratuitous Saturday Afternoon Sweets

I've got nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon than to load vintage ppotos of desserts. These are from a traditional Chinese bakery around Shi Men Ding. I've always wondered why Americans have such a hard time adopting the concept of bakery. In France, you have a boulangerie on every block, as dense as coffee shops are in Seattle. In Taiwan you have the same thing. People like sweet baked goods. I like sweet baked goods. The closest thing to that is Panera ... I guess. You can find comparable products (though not as adventurous) at bakeries in Chinatown, like Tai Pan Bakery (pink) or Fay Da Bakery (green) around the corner from it, in the opposide direction as that one fish store on Canal St. (I don't remember the names of stores, just the general color of their storefront. Tai Pan is the pink bakery, Fay Da is green)


This is the blueberry creme cake that my aunt and I bought for "our birthdays," since they're pretty close to each other. The other side is a bit smashed, but it was wonderlicious.
I have no idea what these breads are, but they look like monster clams made from pate feuilletee, the same type of dough with which you make croissants and pains-au-chocolat. It looks like there might be complicated knotting involved too?
This reminds me of animals. I think it's a pretty standard bun with a spiral of purple batter and coconut on top. From the looks of it, I postulate that the inside is either redbean paste or some sort of sweet coconut paste.
Checkerboard Tiramisu, I presume.
These just look suspicious. Smooth chocolate with egg-imitating custard? I should have gotten one just to see what's under that veneer of tastiness.
Coffee sponge cake, probably.
Hmm...this one puzzles me. I know it's probably some sort of berry creme icing with chocolate sponge cake and chocolate shavings on top, but other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

No comments: